Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A short list of things I've learned

1) Don't trust that when you spend $30 on a cheap hair dryer that it will come complete with the appropriate plug for the country you're in. Thankfully, it's European standard, and I can use it in the UK when we're over there next week.

2) Buying a whole chicken here is easy, just be prepared for no gizzards and the entire neck still attached. I roasted a chicken with its neck tucked underneath it for dinner last night. I actually jumped when it unfolded itself out of the bag. Just to give context, when I buy a whole chicken in the states, the neck is usually stuffed in the gut, along with all the innards. You know, to make gravy.

3) Pesticides are not used here! At least, not any effective ones, as my good (and very fat and alive) friend Charlie the broccoli-eating caterpillar will gladly tell you. Or would, had I not flung him off the balcony in bemused disgust.

4) There is not any sort of published (online or otherwise) bus schedule for the whole of Jerusalem. In fact, when I asked at the tourist office for a bus schedule, the woman behind the desk looked at me like I had posies growing out of my ears and, very disdainfully, said: "There is not one, you idiot." (ok, I added the idiot part, but she might as well have said it!)

That's all for today- my yesterday was uneventful- I cleaned the apartment (put away our suitcases- at last!), walked down to the YMCA (I can't wait to post photos of that!), discovered that my camera battery was dead and that I'd left the charger at my parent's house (thanks dad, for the fedex!), and roasted a neck-on chicken.

Today is the 99 bus route (if I can find where it picks up and at what time.....), another stop at the Y to sign Lee and I up for a gym membership, and then...who knows!

...and since I have no new photos to share, here is an old one just for giggles:




Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Checker

2 comments:

  1. I know that picture :-). I also was able to view the rest of your pictures at the link you posted. Hugs and kisses. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well a different kind of day certainly and loved the chicken story! Customer service not so strong from the tourist office and I forgive you Renee for naming your bocolli eating caterpillar after our grandson :) As for joining the local gym that should be a good source of interesting stories. Anyway keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing you both soon. Love Dad and Gill xx

    ReplyDelete