Thursday, December 3, 2009

A spot of trouble, wot wot? Or, it's cold in England.

It has been a little while since my last post, as Lee and I were out of town, and it's taken until now to get readjusted to being in Jerusalem. (Yeah yeah, I'm lazy...it happens!)

We went to the UK to spend Lee's birthday with his family, which was a nice treat for him, as he's spent the last several years situated pretty far away, and it wasn't convenient to get back frequently. Leaving Jerusalem after work on Thursday evening, we took our first shared taxi (sharut), which is a surprisingly convenient way to get from Jerusalem to Ben Gurion airport. You have to phone 24 hours in advance, and they show up at your door, pick up you and your luggage (and 5-6 other people), and get you to the airport at your requested time. The shared taxis cost 50NIS each (about $15), where a single taxi can cost upwards of 250NIS ($70).

Our flight was delayed for an hour leaving Jerusalem, which gave me the opportunity to do the one thing I do in every country I visit. Eat at McDonalds. I don't like McDonalds, in fact, I don't eat it at home, but it is a good universal measure of the local economy and generally provides some amusing new twists on the ol' Big Mac. I indulged myself with a small McKebab, and laughed at the interestingly named Easy McRoyal (I have no idea what it was, but the name ruled).

(Right next door was the McCafe - for dairy.)

Judgement: Kosher McD's is gooood. As good as it could ever be, I reckon. And they still have deep-fried apple pies (Lee's request!).


(mmmmmm!)

Arriving in London at midnight, an hour past our expected arrival time (it's a 5 hour flight, give or take), we went to pick up our rental car at Alamo's "24 hour" counter.

Which closes at midnight.

And no number to reach anyone at their off-site location. And no help from Alamo or Orbitz, both of whom insisted the counter is open 24 hours. After several hours of frustration, I settle in, resigned to spending the rest of the night in Heathrow. Terminal 1. At Costa's coffee.


(we stole the comfy chairs)

The rest of the weekend was great- rainy and cold, as England tends to be, but spent with fantastic company. The holidays in the UK mean....mince pie! Which we picked up in the little bakery on the high street in Chipping Sodbury, the town closest to Lee's family. ...or is that Yate? I'm still a little confused as to the local geography.


(Chipping Sodbury)

Taking the redeye back to Jerusalem was a bit tougher, with Lee having to go to work almost straight away. I think perhaps next time we'll rethink the flights we take......

Next....on to the Dead Sea Scrolls!

Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Checker

No comments:

Post a Comment